Presidency denies Motlanthe report
Updated | By Neo Leeuw
The presidency denied a report on Sunday that President Jacob Zuma had a hand in the withdrawal of an academic honour for Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe.
"The reports are baseless and ridiculous," presidential spokesman Mac Maharaj said in a statement.
"Neither the president nor his private office had any knowledge of this honour that was apparently turned down until enquiries came from Media24 or Naspers newspapers."
On Friday, Beeld reported that Motlanthe was on his way to China to receive an academic honour when it was unexpectedly withdrawn and that fingers had been pointed at Zuma.
The newspaper reported that, according to three sources, Motlanthe was "furious" officials at the South African embassy in Beijing told him the international relations department had instructed that his invitation from the University of International Business and Economics be turned down.
His spokesman Thabo Masebe reportedly confirmed to the newspaper that Motlanthe was told only days before he was meant to leave.
According to Beeld, it was told by source at the Union Buildings that there was no direct evidence Zuma was involved, but merely a strong suspicion in government circles.
Maharaj said Zuma and Motlanthe continued to work well together and shared responsibilities.
"It would thus assist greatly if the media probed deeper before believing and publishing spurious allegations of this nature so as not to peddle
falsehoods," he said.
-Sapa
Show's Stories
-
Instagram CEO reveals what happens when you accidentally like old posts
If you have ever done a deep dive on an ex’s Insta profile and accidentall…
The Drive with Rob & Roz 13 hours ago -
Win R25,000 with Hi-Lo on The Drive with Rob and Roz
Play along on The Drive with Rob & Roz from 16:00-19:00 and you can st…
The Drive with Rob & Roz 17 hours ago