Listen Live Upload

Mom warns parents about this unexpected pool danger

“We want to make as many people aware of the dangers in swimming pools as we feel so strongly about this,” says mother whose child was trapped under water for two minutes!

Children swimming in pool
iStock

A day at the swimming pool nearly ended in tragedy for Alex Morgan and her family.

She took to Facebook recently to share a scary incident that happened in a hotel pool.

Alex says she hopes her post can save someone’s life.

Her six-year-old daughter Darcey was swimming under water when her hair got trapped in a pool filter.

She says the filter was used to operate a waterfall in the pool.

“Her hair was stuck and she was unable to get up to the surface. She was kept under the water for over 2 minutes. Some incredibly brave people saved our little girls life that day. Her hair was pulled and pulled before it was ripped. Darcey was unconscious and had to be given CPR at the poolside,” Alex wrote in her post.

Darcey was rushed to hospital. She had low oxygen levels, and fluid in her right lung.

 “This was the worst day of our lives. We are still suffering to come to terms with it all now but also feel incredibly lucky to still have our beautiful, brave little girl,” said Alex.

She added that a large amount of her daughter’s hair was taken out of the filter.

“Darcey lost 4 large clumps of her hair in total, but she luckily never saw it and it all grows back,” a relieved Alex wrote.

She added that she wanted to make sure that as many people were made aware of this pool danger as possible.

“Myself and Gareth don't want any other parents/ family members to go through what we experienced that day. We will never get over what happened but if this post can raise some awareness, save someone's life, then we will be happy.”

Alex also shared pictures of her daughter in hospital, and all the hair she lost during the incident.

NEXT: Now this is a haka!

Have you got any swimming pool advice to add? Let us know below.

Show's Stories