Is your carpet making you sick?
Listen Live Upload Donate

Is your carpet making you sick?

Carpets warm a room, assist with the aesthetics and feel great under your feet, so what's not to love? All the health problems they can potentially cause.

Is your carpet making you sick?
iStock

Some carpets and rugs trap allergens and give off harmful fumes. Carpets and rugs can look clean to the naked eye while harboring dirt, dander, bacteria, and other irritants. When these irritants make it into the air you breathe, and eventually into your lungs, they can cause issues such as respiratory issues, skin problems, and potential mold growth.

Here’s a quick guide on what to look out for:

• The larger and plusher a carpet, the harder it is to remove allergens from it. Rather go for natural materials like cotton, sisal, jute, sea grass, and hemp which are often woven into thinner rugs, making them smart options.

• When you're getting carpet for an entire room, it's important to look for natural fibers, like wool, or synthetic products. Damp areas are breeding grounds for mold. Instead of wall-to-wall carpeting, choose an area rug for the areas in your home that potentially hold a lot of moisture, such as the kitchen, bathrooms and laundry room. Also, try to avoid placing carpeting in the rooms of people with allergies or asthma.

• A musty, unpleasant odor around your house could be a sign of mold. Make sure your room gets enough air to assist with carpet odor.  If you like plants, look for indoor plants that generate oxygen and remove toxins from the air.

• The Norovirus, linked to causing stomach flu, can survive on an uncleaned carpet for more than one month. Thorough cleaning helps control allergen levels, so vacuum at least once a week. If you have a rug make sure to vacuum both sides of it. If you have pets vacuum daily.

• Professionally clean wall-to-wall carpeting at least once a year. A professional cleaning can do what regular vacuuming can't, meaning fewer germs.

• Irritants build up on carpets through the years and replacing them with a new one is a good option for many homeowners.  

Here’s to a a cleaner and healthier home.

Show's Stories