Lesufi: Crystal Park assault ‘attempted murder’
Listen Live Upload Donate

Lesufi: Crystal Park assault ‘attempted murder’

Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi says he supports the decision by the Crystal Park High School’s governing body to suspend pupils who allegedly assaulted a girl.

lesufi
by Neo Motloung

The MEC was addressing pupils at the Benoni school on Monday after video footage of the girls assaulting a fellow pupil went viral.

Lesufi says the SGB wanted to conduct an internal hearing with the five suspended learners, but he asked that they stay at home to do introspection.

"We have given them an opportunity to come to school but they have abused that," says Lesufi.

ALSO READ:LISTEN: 'Eskom lied to National Treasury'

Crystal Park police spokesperson Nomsa Sikele says five pupils were arrested last week and have since appeared in the Benoni Magistrates Court.

"Of the five three have already appeared at the Benoni Magistrates Court last week Wednesday and they are due to go back to court on June 8."

The other two learners appeared on Monday and are back in court on June 28.

"We have also brought three more suspects for questioning and they are not arrested," says Sikele.

The girls - aged between 14 and 17 – are facing charges of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm.

Lesufi has described the assault video of the 15-year-old learner as “attempted murder”.

The incident took place last week Wednesday after school.

Lesufi says the learner is back at school and will receive counselling.

Listen below:

Show's Stories