Political parties laud matrics for their hard work, success

Political parties laud matrics for their hard work, success

ActionSA leader Herman Mashaba has congratulated the matric class of 2023 for their hard work and outstanding exam results.

Matric results
Gallo Images

Minister of Basic Education Angie Motshekga announced the matric 2023 pass rate on Thursday afternoon.


The class of 2023 achieved 82.9% matric pass rate, a nearly three percentage point increase from the previous year.


Mashaba says education is the key for people to escape a life of poverty.


"We therefore encourage all successful graduates to pursue further education and opportunities such as tertiary studies or vocational training to empower themselves.


"To those who are not satisfied with their exams, I want to tell you not to give up. Try again with supplementary examinations and similar opportunities. It is not too late"


The African Transformation Movement (ATM) also extended its congratulations to the country’s matrics.


The party's spokesperson, Zama Ntshona, says the increase in the number of bachelor passes reflects the dedication and hard work of pupils. 


Ntshona, however, says too many pupils who started grade 1 in 2012  were not part of the 2023 cohort. 


"Reports show that around 1.2 million students were enrolled in 2012, and only 572 983 passed, which constituted 52% of the original number. Now the question is: where are the other students? We have lost 48% of students that we enrolled in grade 1 in 2012."


LISTEN TO more news Jacaranda
Jacaranda FM

Show's Stories