‘Space cookies’ lands unsuspecting Alex pupils in hospital

‘Space cookies’ lands unsuspecting Alex pupils in hospital

Several pupils from Emfundisweni Primary School in Alexandra have been admitted to the hospital after they unknowingly bought and ate cookies baked with dagga on Wednesday.  

TikTok cookie baking hack has infuriated viewers

The pupils were taken for treatment when they started feeling sick and dizzy during lessons.   

The 'space cookies' were reportedly sold for R1 by a vendor who started selling near the school some two weeks ago.  

Local School Governing Body Secretary Kenneth Vickerman says they have reported the matter to the Gauteng Department of Education.

An investigation has been launched. 

“All schools must be careful of the food contents sold by vendors near the schools because this happened before at one of our high schools two years ago. We are trying to investigate to see if there is a connection between the two incidents and if it is the same person doing this,” says Vickerman.

“We are pleading with the vendors to report to the schools if they notice one of them selling illegal substances to learners and parents must rather make lunchboxes instead of giving kids money to buy.” 

The school will reschedule the examinations for the affected pupils.


LISTEN TO more news Jacaranda
Jacaranda FM

Show's Stories