New York man hospitalised after eating the world's hottest chilli

New York man hospitalised after eating the world's hottest chilli

Only the bravest men attempt to eat the hottest chili in the world. This particular "reaper" almost took a pepper-eating contest participant out for good. 

carolina reaper
Youtube screenshot

If you are going to enter any kind of eating contest, whether it is for pies, bananas or hotdogs, you have to be sure that you will be able to perform under pressure. People with allergies or strict eating plans need not apply. 

And if you are someone who wants to break a record, you may be inclined to enter yourself into one of the riskier categories, like pepper-eating.

According to Thrillist, a 34-year-old man in the New York area took on the Carolina Reaper - measuring 1 569 300 Scoville Heat Units and officially named by Guinness World Records as the hottest chilli in the world - and almost did not live to tell the tale. 

Shortly after ingesting the outrageously hot pepper, the man started breathing heavily and experiencing severe neck pain.

ALSO READ: Watch a woman test the strength of her marriage in the weirdest way

He checked himself into a nearby hospital, where he was treated for "thunderclap headaches", a severe kind of headache that is characterised by extreme bursts of pain that come out of nowhere and last up to 60 seconds at a time. The pain was caused by constricted blood vessels in the brain. 

Thankfully, the man received treatment and was able to go home feeling perfectly healthy after a few days. 

There is no word on whether he won the pepper-eating contest in question after all. 

He will surely approach all kinds of chilli with greater caution in future...

Show's Stories